Kadalai Paruppu Sundal
A very Happy Navarathiri to all! A quick primer – Navarathiri (meaning 9 nights) is a festival that’s celebrated for 9 nights and 10 days. 9 days are split into three sets 3 days with each three day set dedicated to honoring each of the three primary Hindu goddesses; Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati. This year Navarathiri started on Thu, Sep 25th 2014.
In Tamil Nadu, we celebrate by arranging dolls in a step like fashion called ‘golu’. We also prepare many varieties of sundal and share it with all those who visit the ‘golu’. In my household we have a ‘golu’ arrangement and started preparing sundal. Starting today, we will have at least 1 Navarathiri recipe over the next 10 days. The first sundal we prepared was this easy ‘Kadalai Paruppu Sundal’. This lentil does not have to be soaked at all.
1. Kadalai Paruppu – 1/2 cup
2. Water just enough to completely cover the lentil
3. Oil to temper
4. Mustard seeds 1 tsp
5. Red chilli 1 broken into 2 pieces
6. Curry leaf
7. Coriander leaves
8. Coconut finely shredded or Coconut Powder – 2 tbsp
9. Salt to taste
1. Wash Kadalai Paruppu in water. In a sauce pan, heat water and kadalai paruppu along with required salt.
2. The paruppu has to be in ‘killu padam’ that is the bean should retain the shape but if you press the bean with your fingers it should disintegrate
3. Strain out the water
4. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. Once mustard splutters, add red chilli, coconut powder and curry leaf
5. Mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl and add finely chopped coriander leaves
Tasty Kadalai Paruppu Sundal is ready .