Veggies and Cashew Basil Pesto Lasagna Pasta
When I searched my pantry for an ingredient last week, I was surprised by the random items I had to wade through. In between the packets of toor dal and urud dal were hidding a half used box of Lasagna, a box of spiral pasta, a sushi making kit, Ethiopian Beri Beri spice, a whole big box of buckwheat, flax seed flour, amaranth, quinoa and much more. I decided to start a pantry cleaning exercise.
First comes the half used box of Lasagna pasta. According to wiki, “Lasagne (// or // or //, Italian pronunciation: [laˈzaɲɲe], singular lasagna) are a wide, flat pasta shape, and possibly one of the oldest types of pasta. The word also refers to a dish made with several layers of lasagne sheets alternated with sauces and various other ingredients.”
My son loves Pasta. Everyday when I ask him what he would like to have for dinner, bang comes the answer – ‘Paaasshta’! That’s not just for dinner he would have pasta any time of the day. You might think it must be an easy job for me to just dish out a multigrain pasta load it with cheese and veggies and sit back and relax with a book as my son devours the absolute healthy meal.Sadly, Its not as easy as you would expect. He hates cheese. Pesto is the only acceptable sauce. So far he hasn’t been very picky about veggies so I am saved on that front. With these filters, I often try to prepare pasta with a mix of veggies, a rich pesto with basil cashews butter and I also sneak in cheese. This probably explains the low cheese in the photos below. So here is how i prepared this Lasagna pasta that my son loved..
1. Lasagna Pasta (I used almost 8 sheets and it served 3 people)
2. Boiled mixed veggies (I used brocolli, green beans, white carrots)
3. Onion – 1/2 finely chopped
4. Tomato – 1
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
6. Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
7. Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Oil/ butter to saute
10. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – 1 cup
Basil Cashew Pesto
1. Basil leaves – 1 pack
2. Cashews – 1/4 cup
3. Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
4. Salt to taste
5. Mozzarella Cheese – 1/8 cup
6. butter 1 tsp
1. Heat water in a wide sauce pan. Add salt and place the Lasagna sheets in a slanting fashion. Once the sheet immersed in water is cooked, the rest of the uncooked pasta will move into water. You can add water upto the middle of the sauepan so that water is enough to boil the pasta and not spill over
2. Boil Carrots, brocolli and beans in water with little salt and keep the veggies aside
3. In a small pan, heat butter. Add finely chopped onions, tomatoes with required salt.
4. When the tomatoes turn mushy add the boiled veggies. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin powder and mix well
5. Prepare pesto sauce by grinding together all the given ingredients with necessary salt. Keep in mind that we are adding salt to the veggies and pasta also
6. Once the pasta is done, pre heat the over to 350 F. Grease cake or bread tray with butter. Place a sheet of cooked pasta lining the inside of the tray. Top with the veggies. Now cover the veggies with two pasta sheets vertically.
7. Top this layer with the pesto sauce and little bit of cheese
8. Cover this layer with another pasta sheet covering horizontally and top it with a layer of veggies and so on. When you are left with one sheet to go, cover the veggies with the sheets spilling over the pan like you are wrapping them. Now place the final sheet and cover it with cheese
9. Back the pasta for 30 mins. When the cheese is slightly brown, you can take the pasta out and serve
Hope you liked my simple vegetarian pasta. Do let me know your comments