Idly is the safest food for babies and its great for travel. Idly is a staple at my home, only after dosas and my son’s fav semiya upma.
Some evenings we end up with left over idlies from breakfast . Since we have this habit of consuming only fresh food, we don’t enjoy the left over idlies. That is when the idly upma comes to the rescue. It gives an awesome makeover to regular idlies.
1.Left over idlies – 8
2. Onion -1
3. Green capsicum -1/2
4. Mustard seeds -1/4 tsp
5. Urud dal – 1 tsp
6. Asaefiatida – 1 pinch
7. Milagai podi – 1 tbspn
8. Salt to taste
1. Sprinkle some water on the idlies and crumble idlies to smaller fragments
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add urud dal and fry till the dal is golden brown. Add asafoetida
3. Add onion and salt. Once onion turns golden add finely chopped capsicum
4. Add crumbled idlies and mix well
5. Finally mix in the idly milagai podi and mix well with a spring of curry leaf
* The idly might be dry to crumble. Sprinkle some water on the idlies to make them soft. Then you can crumble them very easily.
* You can experiment with other veggies but I have always felt the onion capsicum combination the best