‘Cream Centre’ Style Broccoli n Cheese Bites
Are you from India? Have you been to a popular restaurant called ‘Cream Centre’? If not, you have really been missing out on some delectable food. If you have, you probably know what I am talking about.
Cream Centre has an awesome American corn n cheese balls in their starter menu. They are crispy on the outside. Once you take a bite, you are treated to cheesy melted goodness. The only other place to have this on their menu was the Newyorkers restaurant in Chennai. I was very sad when they closed down. Last year when I went to Chennai, I was happy to discover Cream Centre. Recently a friend of mine mentioned that Newyorkers is operational again at Khader Nawaz Khan road in Chennai. Between Cream Centre and Newyorkers, I don’t really know whose Corn n Cheese balls I love the most. Let’s just say that I love cheese balls.
I have been trying to come up with a similar recipe for a while. I finally perfected the recipe after umpteen trials. As it is Children’s day, I decided to make these yummy bites with broccoli n cheese which is a kids favorite. It turned out to be a very simple and easy recipe and gets done pretty quickly. Though it is quick, there is no compromise on taste. It is a great evening snack for kids n adults alike.. Especially with the weather getting colder day by day, these are awesome bites of melted goodness that can be served at tea.
Instead of deep frying I used my Aebleskiver Pan so that the oil consumption was very less.
1. Mozzarella Cheese – 3 tbspn
2. All purpose flour (maida) – 1 tsp
3. Broccoli flowers – 1/4 cup
4. Salt – very less
5. Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
6. oil to deep fry
7. Coriander leaves – 1 spring (finely chopped)
1. Boil broccoli flowers in water along with a pinch of salt. I microwaved 1/4 cup brocolli along with water and salt for 3 minutes. You can use the pressure cooker and just boil the broccoli in water
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together mozzarella cheese, maida, red chilli powder, boiled and mashed broccoli flowers, finely chopped coriander leaves into a fine dough. If needed add very little water
3. Check for saltiness and add salt if needed
4. Heat the Aebleskiver pan. Add a tsp of oil in each of the moulds
5. Pinch the dough and prepare small balls
6. Once the oil is hot, place the balls carefully inside the moulds. After 2 minutes, with a spoon carefully turn the cheese balls
7. Once the cheese balls are evenly browned on all sides, transfer them to a bowl lined with a paper towel
8. Yummy Broccoli n Cheese bites are done. You can enjoy them as such or with tomato sauce
* Deep fry the cheese balls right before serving. Otherwise the cheese will not be melted on the inside.
* The dough should be tight so add no water or very less water to make the dough. The water in the boiled, strained, broccoli was enough to form a dough
* You can try the same recipe with mashed corns instead of broccoli. In fact, Cream Center serves corn n cheese balls.
* The key is to add a lot of cheese and keep the flour to the minimal quantity. When you prepare larger batches, adjust quantities accordingly