Hyderabadi Double ka Meetha
Hyderabadi double ka Meetha is a very popular and easy sweet to prepare.
Double ka meetha (Urdu: شاہی ٹکڑا) is a bread pudding dessert of fried bread slices soaked in hot milk with spices, including saffron and cardamom. Double ka meetha is a dessert of Hyderabad. It is popular in Hyderabadi cuisine, served at weddings and parties. Double ka meetha refers to the milk bread, called “Double Roti” in the local Indian dialects because it swells up to almost double its original size after baking.
The dish is similar to Shahi Tukda which has its roots in Pakistani cuisine and is a famous dessert in Mughlai cuisine. It is particularly prepared during the festive month of Ramadan and on Eid. The recipe uses bread, condensed milk, and dry fruits.
I had tasted this sweet few years ago in an office potluck. For the first serving I didn’t bother to try this sweet thanks to its nonchalant looks. A colleague of mine casually remarked how awesome the ‘Hyderabadi Double ka Meetha’ was. That’s when I turned to look at the small placard reading ‘Hyderabadi Double ka Meeta’ at the corner of the table. One bite was all it took to convert me into an instant fan. I told myself that the person who prepared this should have woken up at probably 4 in the morning and should have spent quite a long time in front of the range to make this sweet. – I didn’t quite guess the simplicity of the recipe at that time
A week or so later I read about this recipe in Chefinyou’s blog and was surprised by the easy recipe. I decided to prepare this high calorie sweet some day. Time passed by and the ‘to do’ was still in the ‘to do’ list. This Deepavali I finally gave in and prepared this wonderful sweet. Its easy to put together and consumes very less time (both to prepare and to disappead ;-)) . Why not try this easy sweet for Deepavali?
1. Bread – I used 7 pieces cut into triangles
2. Ghee to deep fry
3. Sugar – 1 Cup
4. Water – 1 Cup
5. Milk – 1 Cup
6. Sugar – 1/2 cup
7. Saffron threads – few mixed in 1 tbspn of hot water
8. Roasted nuts
1. Cut bread into triangles. Heat ghee in a pan and deep fry the bread into golden brown color
2. Place the bread pieces in a bowl
3. Mix sugar and water for sugar syrup and heat till they mix well and boil
4. Pour the sugar syrup on the bead pieces. Let it stay for 10 minutes till the bread absorbs all of the sugar syrup
5. Meanwhile in a pan , combine milk, sugar and saffron threads and boil to prepare the sweetened milk
6. When the milk reduces to half , switch off the flame and pour on the bread pieces
7. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and the bread will absorb all the milk
8. Garnish with toasted nuts. I served it by adding a spoonful of sweetened milk on the dry bread pieces