Rainbow Carrot Kosumalli
Carrot Kosumalli is our family recipe that my maternal grandmother passed on to my mom and she in turn passed it on to me. Its very simple to put together and tastes so great.
Don’t skip adding the lemon juice – The mild sweetness from the carrots blends in with the moong dal and the fresh lemon juice.
Last weekend, I found these colorful ‘Rainbow Carrots’ at a local Whole Foods store and immediately got them. We prepare traditional Kosumalli with common orange carrots. This time I prepared with the rainbow carrots and it looked and tasted great
1. Rainbow Carrots – 3
2. Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
3. Salt to taste
4. To temper in hot oil – Mustard seeds – 1 tsp , asafoetida – 1 small pinch, 1 green chilli
5. juice of one small lemon
6. Coriander leaves – 1 handful
1. Wash and shred rainbow carrots
2. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, temper mustard seeds, asafoetida and 1 green chilli
3. Add the shredded carrots and add required salt
4. Wash moong dal and add it to the carrots
5. Mix moong dal and carrots well with a ladle. Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
6. Add water and let the carrots and moong dal cook for 5 minutes or till the water is completely evaporated
7. Switch off flame and transfer kosumalli to a serving dish
8. Now add fresh lemon juice and mix it well
Tasty kosumalli is ready and can be served with Rice and Sambhar or kuzhambu
Looking for kuzhambu recipes? Check out some recipes I have posted in my blog: