After a long hiatus am back to blogging. Today I prepared Hyderabadi Mirchi ka Salan. I have posted this in my blog already but today I made with few variations. Please check out the ver 1 here
Banana peppers 6
Peanuts 1 cup
Freshly grated or dessicated Coconut 1 cup
Sesame seeds 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste 2 spoons
Onions 1 big
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Slit and chop banana peppers and remove all the seeds completely. This is very important otherwise the dish will turn out very spicy. Place the banana peppers in a microwaveable bowl with 2 spoons oil and microwave for 4 mins or till the peppers look wilted
2. Finely chop onions into half moons. Heat 2 spoons oil in a wide kadai. Add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pop, add onions and salt.
3. When the onions become brown add turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste. Saute. Add red chili powder and saute.
4. Grind peanuts, coconut and sesame seeds in a mixer along with little water to make a paste.
5. Add this paste to the onions.
6. At this point cover the kadai with a vessel otherwise the gravy will splatter a lot
7. Add tamarind paste and stir well
8. Do a taste check.
9. Add the cooked banana peppers
10. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves
I served this with Avocado chapathis ( recipe to follow). However I find that it tastes best with any veggie biryanis.
This is a very forgiving recipe. I have tried this dish with or without sesame. Sometimes swapped peanuts with almonds or cashews. It has tasted great all the time.