Ulundu Vadai is prepared during festivals and when prepared on non festive days, we can add onions too.
1. Urud dal – 1 cup (1/2 cup for 8 to 10 vadais)
2. Water to soak
4. 2 green chillies for 1/2 cup Urud dal
5. Asafoetida powder
6. Oil to fry
Method of Preparation
1. Soak urud dal in water for 30 minutes. urud dal should be completely covered in water
2. After 30 minutes, add 2 chillies, salt, hing powder (Asafoetida) and grind well without any water.
3. If its hard to grind, sprinkle few drops of water. The batter should be very fine
4. Next step is to prepare the vadas and deep fry in oil. In order to shape the vadas, take some batter in hand and make it round. Now with a moist finger poke a hole in between and deep fry the vadas in hot oil
5. Tasty vada is ready to serve