Paruppu orundai vathakuzhambu (Toor dhal balls Vathakuzhambu)
Paruppu orundai can be called as the south Indian cuisine’s answer to North Indian Malai Kofta or vice versa 🙂 This type of kuzhambu is similar to the usual vathakulambu but that instead of onion and tomatoes, we add paruppu orundai.
1. Toor Dal – 13/4 cup
2. Red chillies – 4
3. Salt – to taste
4. Mustard – few
7. Tamarind water
8. Steamed toor dhal
9. Curry leaves
How to prepare:
1. Soak toor dhal and red chillies, till the dhal becomes soft.
2. Grind toor dhall, red chillies adding salt without water.
3. Add curry leaves and make them into medium sized balls.
4. Steam the balls and keep aside.
5. In a kadai, with little oil, add mustard, asafoetida, vendayam and toor dhal
6. Add sambar powder and tamarind juice.
7. When the content boils, add steamed toor dhal balls and stir without breaking it.
8. Garnish with curry leaves and serve with hot rice.
1. We can add boiled mashed vegatables like carrot/ beans with the paruppu orundai balls.
This recipe is going to Radhika Vasanth’s ‘Cook for yourself’ event.